HOME | ABOUT | SERVICES | RESOURCES | LOCATION | FEES | FORMS | LINKS
Trained as a Marriage and Family Therapist, I have been providing counselling and psychotherapy in Guelph since 1997. I also have over 25 years’ experience in designing and facilitating groups in interpersonal growth and communication, including assertive communication, and structured experiential exercises.
I received a BA Honours degree in Psychology from Carleton University in Ottawa (1992) and a Master’s of Science Degree in Marriage and Family Therapy from the University of Guelph’s Couple and Family Therapy Program (1994). Since graduation I have completed additional therapy training in Canada, the USA and Australia, in Narrative Approaches to Therapy, Solution Focused Therapy, EMDR, Hypnosis (not certified), and Sexuality.
In addition to my private practice, I have been providing weekly supervision to clinical teams in the Specialized Psychiatry Division of the Homewood Health Centre since 1996. This supervision provides team members the opportunity to talk about the interface between the personal and the professional – the ways in which clinicians are impacted by the work they do
In 2009 the Minister of Health and Long Term Care for Ontario appointed me to the transitional Council for the new College of Registered Psychotherapists and Registered Mental Health Therapists of Ontario.
I am the Chair of the Quality Assurance Committee and have been elected three times to the Executive Committee.
I am a Clinical Fellow with both the Ontario and American Association’s for Marriage and Family Therapy.
Additional career highlights:
- Worked as Family Therapist in the Community Counselling Program at Family Service London (London Ontario) where I facilitated groups for men who were abusive toward women and worked to help men take responsibility for their abusive behaviour and end violence. I also worked to help many women reclaim their lives from current and past physically and sexually abusive relationships.
- Severed as a sessional instructor in the Department of Family Relations and Applied Nutrition at the University of Guelph from 1996-2009. During this time I taught 30 different times covering 12 different courses at the graduate and undergraduate levels for a list of courses taught, click here. He has provided numerous workshops to a variety of private and not for profit organizations
- Served as Executive Director for the Ontario Association for Marriage and Family Therapy from 2007 to 2009
- Sat on the steering committee for the Ontario Coalition of Mental Health Professionals from 2006-2009.
- Provided clinical supervision to other therapists and given workshops in solution focused and collaborative therapy.
- A regular contributor to the annual Guelph Sexuality Conference, including co-facilitating the Sexual Attitudes Re-Assessment (SAR) weekend workshop for professionals from 2002-2006.
- Was a founding member of the Alzheimer’s Society of Guelph’s committee that worked to establish Allies in Aging, the annual conference promoting Alzheimer’s Care.
- Appeared on CBC television twice with Canada’s Sexpert Sue Johanson to discuss sexuality with teens, and once on WTN on the Sunday Night Sex Show, to take calls about sexuality and relationships.
- Organized and sponsored various therapy related workshops with renowned therapists Scott Miller and Yvonne Dolan as well as parenting Guru Barbara Colloroso.
- Prior to formal therapy training, worked with Stafford Associates, a small family based business in Ottawa dedicated to personal growth and human development. During this time, co-lead or lead workshops in Assertive Communication, Human Skills, and Humour. Often co-lead workshops with his parents, Sheila and the late Charles Stafford.
KEVIN STAFFORD, M.Sc.
Registered Marriage and Family Therapist
By Appointment Only
"a solid reputation as a patient therapist
with a gift of insight"
Ask about interviewing me for free
- No session caps
- One time consultations
- On going therapy
HILLSIDE FAMILY THERAPY
Celebrating over 15 Years!
WEBSITE BY DIGITAL DOCUMENT